General Rules of Slide Protection/Picking Up Gap Heat
- If an opponent is running a blitz which they manually move a LB out to create gap heat, Block and HB opposite the Blitz and Slide Protect the Direction of the LB that was moved out!!!
- If you are in a Play that relies more on the running backs route then the TE, BLOCK THE TE on the side of the blitz and slide protect opposite the blitz!!!
- Mix in PA plays, you don’t have to carry out the Play-Action, I actually urge you not to, just block the Running Back!
Undercenter Pass Blocking is different
- Most Players cannot generate gap pressure vs undercenter, it is usually from the outside, and you can usually see where they are sending it from, slide towards it!!!
- You can get Undercenter Pass Blocking from Shotgun, Just come out in an undercenter formation like SB Tight Slots, and Audible to a Shotgun Play.